Mabey Memories

.
The desire of my heart is to become the person God dreams of and share those dreams with others; to unleash personal and corporate creativiy within the church, overflowing it with passion and freedom while searching for the face and character of God.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Relay for Life 2008

Relay For Life® is a time to remember the lives of those lost to cancer, but it is also an opportunity to spread hope for the future. By raising funds for the American Cancer Society and the important help and services it provides, those who take part in Relay are supporting the mission to save lives, diminish suffering, and once and for all eliminate cancer as a major health problem across the world.

I celebrated my one year anniversary, if you call it that of finding out I had cancer, this past weekend was exactly one year and I walked in the relay for life in Romeo.

I am not sure of the totals but my team raised 14,000 dollars for cancer research! Amazing! our goal was 13,000. so we surpassed that. It was a crazy weekend but I walked 11 miles.

as a rule:) I try not to do that, not that I am not in shape- but I found out how out of shape I am.



We started the day with a survivor lap, followed by a spouse and family, and caregiver lap- they were both very emotional- the whole day was rather draining. one of the most moving laps was the luminary lap- teams sold luminary candles for 10 dollars a bag and you could write names in honor of or in memory of and they were lined up around the field- the whole field, this pictures does not do it justice but imagine the whole track lit up with luminaries, all with names of those who were still fighting/ but many of those who have lost there battle with cancer- hundreds of people showed up for this lap and ceremony to keep on fighting!


There was one church represented- the Orchards Community, a missionary church and this is my shout out them- Thank you! Not sure why more churches are not involved but I can tell you this- Pathway will be there next year! The orchards had a prayer tent which was where you could go and leave prayer requests for yourselves or and loved ones and from what I heard they were overwhelmed with requests!

One team brought wheel barrels for weary walkers- you could rent a barrel for a dollar a lap and have someone push you around the track- by lap 6 I was thinking about it but never followed through, by mile eleven I headed home to sleep in my own bed- thank goodness Zach had a game the next morning early and I had an excuse to go home!


The Detroit Piston drum line showed up about 5 pm and gave a great show! Thanks guys, you helped us get through a few more hours of relay!

No comments:

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

CWO

Romeo Weather

Blog Archive