Mabey Memories

.
The desire of my heart is to become the person God dreams of and share those dreams with others; to unleash personal and corporate creativiy within the church, overflowing it with passion and freedom while searching for the face and character of God.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Evidence of Faith

I've seen in several news reports that Christian t-shirts are selling better than anything else out there.

Yes - this means that the majority of Americans will choose to buy something with a snappy spiritual slogan on it versus an Abercrombie logo or a shirt honoring the NBA team of their choice.
Maybe our "In Case Of Rapture This Shirt Will Be Empty" thinking has finally caught on... or maybe the fact that the shirts are often marketed by smiling girls in relaxed poses has something to do with it????????

I know I should be happy, because I've been a part of this madness over the years. I have a couple of shirts hanging up in my closet that I bought at a Christian concert or convention and recently saw in Meijer a "Honk if you love Jesus" t shirt. I refrained from buying it however

In fact, even though I don't buy very many Christian t-shirts these days I still support the heart of the concept... given the choice to promote Jesus or an overpaid athlete, I'll always go with the Savior. I just am a bit bothered by how commercial it's all gotten.

While I look forward to the Narnia movie, for instance, and we pre purchased a copy that we are saving for our next car trip. I am not a fan of seeing my local Christian bookstore sold out to Disney. By the way, it is there (as well as on-line) where you can find many of the products that I will highlight here:

The iBelieve iPod Shuffle Cap: Now you can protect the coolest toy on the block by turning it into a cross. This allows you to not only listen to some cool tunes but will make you wonder if your playlist is random or somehow predestined by some higher power. Some assembly required... if the chain breaks you may be required to carry your own cross

I feel like I gotta get moving...Dance Praise: That's right - no longer do you have to put up with the crazy tunes of Dance Dance Revolution. Instead, you can jump around to DANCE PRAISE - the NEW interactive dance game that turns your PC into a dance arcade with over 50 top Christian hits! If you're non-Pentecostal, though, don't worry. Because you're told where to step it isn't actually official dancing but can be categorized at "strategic choreography."Whoah... I think we need to slow down a bit. Maybe be still and get all postmodern for a second.

........His Essence: Apparently someone got the fragrance of the Messiah into a candle. The company was inspired by Psalm 45:8 - "All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia..." - to create a candle that smelled like what Jesus will be wearing when He returns. "The result is a scent, which serves as a reminder of His Presence."

Hmm.......
Did you know...
The retail clothing store Forever 21 has the verse John 3:16 printed on the bottom of its bags?

Starbucks will be printing quotes from Rick Warren's book Purpose Driven Life on its cups in the spring?

In Rob Bell's book "Velvet Elvis" he writes:
"The word Christian first appears in the Bible as a noun. The problem with turning a noun into an adjective and then tacking it onto words is that it can create categories that limit the truth.

"Is it possible that in winning the war of Christian marketing...
Switchfoot on secular radio...The Passion Of The Christ setting box office records...The Purpose Driven Life selling twenty-three million copies...that we have lost a significant piece of the Gospel along the way?

click on the the words in red to follow the link to articles relating to subject:)

****** today is My dad's birthday: IF you want to send him and e-card send it to

Bob Johnson
c/o

gingerjonson@juno.com





No comments:

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

CWO

Romeo Weather